Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Skill - Building continues ....


This is Skill-Building 5:  Fun With Fans
Frame pattern c.Karen H Thompson, 2021

During the session, Karen Thompson showed the participants, a pincushion with an edge of bobbin lace fans.   An a-ha moment as I remembered a Bent Creek pattern with Bunny that I stitched and hadn't finished into anything.   Also found some colorful fabric in my stash.   When I finish this bobbin lace edge, I plan to make a pincushion and add the edge --  (well, thats the plan).   I used DMC perle coton #8 colors 3823 & 3687.


 1 July 2021
 off the pillow, now to weave in the ends.




 This is the piece I started in the zoom session.   A few mistakes --- (DMC perle coton No. 8, colors 991 and 959).   
Once I found a stitched piece that would fit inside the bobbin lace frame, I started over with white card stock (photo above) and perle cotton No.8

I was asked about lace tools - not many are needed for bobbin lace.   The decorated tools I have with Autumn Leaves are from Alison Tolson.   If you sign up for virtual workshops, you will get a supply list - or you can purchase a kit with everything you need to get started.

The next Skill Building session I signed up for is to learn Trails, Spiders, and Rose Ground.   I struggled with trails in skill building 2, will practice them this week as the session is scheduled 9th of July!!  

If anyone is interested in sessions, check out the Lace Museum.    Workshops currently listed are for bobbin lace, crochet, knitting, tatting, etc.   In addition to bobbin lace sessions, I signed up for a Teneriffe workshop.


Am I still tatting?   Yes!   I have some portable projects.   Emptying shuttles (butterflys) and I continue on my edge.  I've got the pattern memorized.   (Sophie T. LaCroix:  Edging or Insertion No. 1143.     I use size 20 Lizbeth fiber.   Using Lizbeth 138 [greens] and 170 [yellows]. )      Maybe it is time to try a new pattern.   I seem to be spending a lot of time 'waiting' while my Mom visits her MDs.  She does not have internet in her apartment.   








 

2 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

You certainly have been keeping busy! I enjoyed learning how to do bobbin lace, but I'm just as happy to see what you are accomplishing!

Jane McLellan said...

A pin cushion sounds like the perfect use for your lace.

LinkWithin