Saturday, March 13, 2010

New Stuff ....

What fun visiting Erica's in South Bend.
They seem to have a little bit of EVERYTHING!

I left with new 'stuff':

Clover, Size 14 hook
w/nice handle & cap ... and,
this one I hope not to misplace.

These small crochet hooks go missing quickly
when I'm tatting & joining the picots

Maybe this one won't get away


Picked up the new
Oval yo yo maker

I saw a tv show where they used round yoyo's and pulled them
into oval shapes for leaves

I made a couple last night -- this is the large size

Picked out some new needles (quilting & darning), pretty fat quarters
because I just couldn't leave them in the store
for some other lucky seamstress
---------------


One day, in 2008, I set down my needlework. I just couldn't face another cross stitch pattern - or specialty stich. I love needlework - just knew there were other ways to express myself - other arts for me to explore. I decided I wanted to expand my skills with more than needlework. I created a list.

Last Sunday, I pulled out my tattered/beat up list from 2008 & think I've covered all but a couple of things:

-Sewing Machine (Dec2008)

-comfort doll (class / completed project)
Doll Class
Inner Child Doll
Still want to make some doll clothing

-crazy quilting (class / incomplete project)
CQ Needlebook

-punchneedle (class / completed projects)
Punch needle Class
Halloween Project

-tatting (lesson / finished projects)
tatting lesson
finished small butterflies
Still have more to learn & I pick up the shuttles every day

-yo yo pets (patterns / incomplete project)
fabric yo yos started
Continue to make the yo yos, a few at a time. Once I get enough, I'll pull out the pattern & make up a pet (or two).

-flower making ( on-line instructions) / incomplete flowers)
Clover Hana-Ami Loom (gift from Alex Dec 2009 - I have only begun to make flowers with the pieces)
Sweetheart flower maker

-locker hooking (on-line instructions / need more supplies)

-friendship block (2010 pattern avail March / May)
annual quilt block
OK, I'm not a great quilter - tho participate in this almost every year

Along the way, I enjoyed gathering up charms, fabrics, & supplies. I found some ink pads (for fabrics) to mess around with. Pulled out a couple sketch pads & may even create a few ATCs. I unearthed a couple of my knitting spools, I have a few of them!

What an adventure. I cannot explain why I'm not a needlework-only fan / junkie anymore - why my interests have changed. A different enthusiasm. I've spent years with a needlework only focus. But, no more. I've changed.

It is wonderful to get out of the house & visit local exhibits, head into the city and walk thru the art museum. Great to try new things. I've enjoyed exploring , enjoyed the journey.

The best part, is when evening rolls around - the end of my 'parent' day, I have more than books and stitching waiting for me! It is perfect for me.

No comments:

LinkWithin